A Birthday Surprise

A Birthday Surprise
Thanks Honey !!

Friday, February 17, 2012

Repost of Ken's post (spanked by my Lady)

WARNING TO BLOGGERS



We have all been familiar with the issue with WdSpoone and his very well respected blog, "Ma'am, Yes Ma'am".  Fortunately he was able to overcome the issue and his blog has been relocated and back in operation.

Today I received an e-Mail that disturbed me.  Here is what it said:

Dear , hereby we notify you that your IP address has been identified as distributing copyrighted content. Please see the attachment to this message for illicit Internet traffic details.
Failure to respond to this message within 14 days will result in copyright infringement accusation and standard legal procedures.

The message showed as coming from the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) and gave their phone number.

Since I have been involved with music and have performed in several bands over the years, I am very familiar with the RIAA.  So, I check their own website to see if the phone number was legitimate.  To my shock, it was.

Now, most of you know that the only thing you will find on our blog are pictures taken by us or pictures that we have posted with permission.  The only exceptions have been some items that are 'public domain'.  So I took this notification quite seriously.

So, I called the RIAA number.  Their recorded greeting indicated that they have been to target of an Internet Spoof (their words) and the message should be disregarded.  I left a message anyway.

The attachment that was included was an 'EXE' file and I am guessing that if opened it would attack your computer. 

Maybe I am over reacting but I felt especially troubled by this threat.  Fellow Bloggers, beware!

5 comments:

OTTO149 said...

Thanks for the warning. That would certainly freak me out if I got a message like that. The internet teaches us that there are some truly, essentially nasty people in this world...

spankedbywife said...

James-
Thanks for re-posting our post. The more that read it the better, especially those of us who actually blog.

And so far I haven't heard back from the RIAA.

Ken

Hermione said...

Very scary. I got a phone call from "microsoft" saying that several people had complained about a virus on my machine. they would be happy to fix the problem if I gave them my IP address and bank account number.

Click.

tommyspt said...

thanks for the warning. I will be alert and watch for this.

Anonymous said...

I haven't a blog, thus I am not posting, but I received the same message. Of course it is an attack mail, don't download the attachment and don't click any link which is contained. The link might seem direct you to the RIAA page, but I am sure it will direct you to an attack page.